Home|Blog|Premises Liability|Slip and Fall on Snow/Ice in Winter: It is Not too Late to Sue

Slip and Fall on Snow/Ice in Winter: It is Not too Late to Sue

Although the temperatures might be nearing 100 degrees in some states, it is not too late to file a lawsuit if you slipped and fell on ice this past winter. Depending on the state you may have one to six years to file a slip and fall lawsuit. However, time is often of the essence, especially if the party you end up suing is a municipal entity. In New York, the statute of limitations on a slip and fall lawsuit is 3 years if suing a private party, and may be as short at one year and ninety days if suing a municipal entity like the City of New York. Moreover, when suing a municipal entity, a preliminary document called a Notice of Claim must be served on that entity within 90 days.

Your attorneys are in the best position to research and investigate who is liable for your fall, the city or a property owner/tenant. It is important to note that municipalities are generally only responsible for clearing snow or ice on sidewalks in front of public buildings. So if you fell on ice or snow in a residential or commercial area is likely the home owner/resident or business owner is liable. No matter who is responsible for the sidewalk that you fell on, you must prove that the party you are suing knew that the premises was unsafe and failed to correct the issue.

Whether you’re suing a homeowner, tenant, commercial property owner or a municipality you will need a personal injury team that will assist you in creating and implementing the best possible case to get you the best possible result. Greenberg Law P.C. has over 25 years of experience in handling cases similar to yours, where landowners and/or property tenants have failed to maintain their legal responsibility of protecting their property or business establishment from known dangers. For more information please contact them today for a free consultation.

This post is provided by Greenberg Law P.C., experienced trial lawyers you need if you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, construction accident, slip or trip and fall accident, medical malpractice, or has been injured in any way due to the fault of another. Contact us by email or call us today at 212-972-5656 to receive more information.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this post in not intended to be construed as legal advice, nor should it be considered a substitute for obtaining individual legal counsel.

Recent Posts



RSS Feed

Free Attorney Consultation

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.